29 January 2011

Ask yourself is it trending or ranging?

As you look at the chart of a currency pair, do you consider if it's a trending or a ranging market yet? If not, then think of it simply as the difference between price making a steady move in one direction or bouncing up and down in a horizontal channel.

It does seem to be a pretty important tip and is echoed by many traders as I continue my learning curve. It appears that this is important criteria to bear in mind before applying a strategy, so I thought it's worth a mention.

As I zoom out into longer timeframes things get a bit more complicated but I did pickup a few tips from the video below. It shows the use of the ADX indicator to get things into perspective. Looks like it also helps give you an idea of upcoming trends and trend reversals. Pretty sweet eh? Also found some free trading courses and videos on the informedtrades.com website which I will be digging into.

No comments:

Post a Comment

good to hear from you, thanks for the comment